As is always the case, as soon as Michael left town this afternoon I had another misadventure with another Texas rodent (Everything down here is a rodent. Even bugs that are small everywhere else are "bigger in Texas." At least they warned me.) Literally 15 minutes after Mike left, I was putting Katie on the floor with some toys when I saw something moving about 6 inches from her. It was a SCORPION!!! The first scorpion I've ever seen in my entire life and it couldn't have come any time before my husband left, but decided to crawl RIGHT NEXT TO MY BABY right AFTER MY HUSBAND LEFT FOR THE WEEKEND!! If it's moments like these that show our true character, then I'm totally screwed because I called Mike and made him stay on the phone with me while I shrieked and stomped on the thing about 20 times. Then it took me another 5 minutes to calm down after it was "Dead and Gone... Dead and Gone." The whole time, Ethan (in bare feet) was saying, "Mom, just let me handle this. I'll kill it." And he would have. He and Austin have been teasing me about it for the last couple hours, and all I can say is "You know I saved your lives tonight." Wish I'd had the camera to demonstrate my bravery.
Fast forward an hour or so and we're all at Braum's getting ice cream. Austin and I got our usual, but Ethan ordered a banana split. They gave it to us in it's own grocery bag! I kid you not, it was that big!! No wonder there was no picture of it on the menu. It was the most adorable thing to see him, with that huge ice cream smile, eating from a banana split that was bigger than his head! He ate about 5 bites and was finished. Aaahh, good times. I have a feeling this weekend's adventures are just beginning.
Little rodents like that is why I will NEVER move to Texas. Our once a year visit is enough for me!
Jill said...
May 1, 2009 at 10:14 PM
LOL!!!! It cracks me up that it took a scorpion trying to attack your precious momma's little girl:)to get you to update your blog!Praise the scorpion!!! J/k!!! Talk about your Mother's protect your offspring survivial instinct!!! Good for you! I'm so proud of you for being so brave! Now I know why you got your pb cup sundae, after that you needed a reward!!! Okay now for real, I've lived in Texas my whole life and have never seen a real scorpion unless it's behind glass at a zoo or some sort! I'm glad things are BIGGER and BETTER in Texas! But I could totally live without the insects, darn that EVE!!! She must of hated us Texan's! You better get ahold of your pest control guy and get him out them asap!!! Good Luck, and sleep tight, don't let the TEXAS RODENTS BITE!!!
Jewelcat said...
May 1, 2009 at 10:41 PM
I think I have been lucky, having lived both in Las Vegas (scorpion territory for sure) and now in Texas and haven't run into one of those yet. Note that I said yet.
I do love Texas -- and I"m proud of you for getting in there and taking care of the issue. That happened to us in Tennessee and I can tell you there was a lot of screaming (from me) going on. Yuck!
Jan said...
May 2, 2009 at 8:34 AM